After Surgery Tips for the Best Rhinoplasty Results
After you’ve undergone a rhinoplasty (nose job) procedure, you’ll be anxious to see your new appearance. While Dr. Steiger’s patients generally feel remarkably well immediately after the procedure and have minimal pain, there are many steps that patients can take to reduce bruising, reduce swelling, increase comfort and heal faster.
Dr. Steiger, whose approach to rhinoplasty utilizes the most advanced techniques, does NOT pack the nose after rhinoplasty, which greatly helps to minimize swelling and discomfort during recovery.
However, to minimize bruising and redness of the nose, consider the following tips:
- Apply cold compresses on your eyes and cheeks. This is very helpful especially in the first 48 hours after surgery.
- Sleep on your back for the weeks following your procedure to eliminate any pressure on your nose. Keeping your head elevated is important to help reduce the swelling in your face and nose. Many patients sleep on a few pillows achieve this.
- Don’t participate in intense exercise for at least two weeks. For six weeks, avoid playing basketball, volleyball and any other activity which may involve getting hit in the nose. However, taking light walks is encouraged. Elevated blood pressure can increase swelling and cause bleeding.
- Be very careful washing your face – avoid any aggresive contact with your nose.
Other tips for recovery after rhinoplasty include:
- Wear button-down shirts; not clothing that you have to pull over your head.
- Hold your glasses in your hands and look through them without placing them on your nose. Wearing glasses and sunglasses may result in permanently pushing in the nasal bones. This will depend on what was done during surgery.
- Limit sun exposure to your nose. Following rhinoplasty, too much sun can result in permanent discoloration to the nose.
- Get lots of sleep, eat well and drinks lots of water.
- Don’t blow your nose for two weeks. You can clean your nose out with a saline solution if needed.
- Don’t eat foods that involve heavy chewing.
- Avoid salty foods as they can increase the amount of swelling you experience.
- Unfortunately, don’t laugh too hard or make a big smile in the weeks following the surgery. The less your nose moves or stretches, the better.
- Don’t smoke for three weeks, both before and after surgery.
Rhinoplasty is a very gratifying surgery that gives permanent results. Following some of these guidelines for rhinoplasty recovery can help expedite the healing process and help you obtain the most optimal results. Check our FAQ page if you have any other rhinoplasty questions or need more information about this procedure.
Dr. Jacob D. Steiger, M.D. is board certified by the American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery and the American Board of Otolaryngology – Head & Neck Surgery. He practices in Boca Raton, Florida, treating patients from Palm Beach, Ft. Lauderdale, and Miami, as well as patients from all over the U.S. and around the world.