How to Find the Best Facial Plastic Surgeon
Today, more and more people are having facial plastic surgery. This is in the form of facelift surgery, eyelid surgery, rhinoplasty, chin implants, otoplasty, facial fat grafting, etc. The decision to undergo facial plastic surgery is one that takes great consideration. However, for each patient, deciding which facial plastic surgeon is the best option for her/his specific needs is one of the most important decisions to make.
So how do you go about finding the best plastic surgeon for your face? Here are a few helpful tips:
- Do your homework. Gather all information possible about the procedures you are seeking and the surgeons that perform this surgery. There are many resources online to help you do this. If you feel comfortable, ask people who you may know have had a good experience and result with a surgeon.
- Research the background of the facial plastic surgeons or plastic surgeon that you are considering:
- Both Plastic Surgeons and Facial Plastic Surgeons perform plastic surgery on the face and neck areas.
- If your doctor is a facial plastic surgeon, find out if they are board certified by the by the American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (ABFPRS). These individuals have undergone intense training specifically in plastic surgery of the head and neck area, and have a great deal of experience with facial plastic surgery techniques.
- If the doctor is a plastic surgeon, they should be board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS). Find out if they commonly perform the facial surgery that you are seeking.
- Has the surgeon completed a fellowship in the area that you are considering surgery? This can indicate whether or not he/she has a greater understanding of the procedure you are considering and specializes in it.
- It is important that you find a surgeon that frequently performs the procedure that you are looking for and does it well. Do not be afraid to ask them how often they perform the surgery you are inquiring about. Some surgeons perform more reconstructive surgery while others perform more cosmetic surgery. Even within cosmetic surgery some surgeons may perform more body surgeries then facial surgeries. Find out your surgeons specific area.
- Interview at least two or three facial plastic surgeons or plastic surgeons. You must feel comfortable with the surgeon you chose. Ask to see “before and after” photos of their own work. During your interviews, ask the following questions:
- Would I be a good candidate for this procedure? Be ready to discuss your medical history, medications, allergies, background and habits.
- How often do you perform this procedure?
- How long will the procedure take?
- Where will the procedure be performed?
- What type of anesthesia will be involved?
- Do you use an anesthesiologist or a nurse anesthetist for the anesthesia?
- What is the recovery time?
- What kind of results should I expect?
- Are there risks involved, and if so, what are they?
- What medications will I need to take after the procedure?
- What is the cost of the procedure?
- What are supportive surgeries, if any, to enhance the results?
- What percentage of the procedures you have performed resulted in complications or re-operations?
- Make sure the facial plastic surgeon shares your aesthetic vision. Does the surgeon believe in creating a natural look? Is he offering what you are looking? Have them show you photos of their work. See as many photos as you need to feel comfortable that they perform enough of and can deliver what you are seeking.
- Consider your experience during the consultation. Did the surgeon and staff make you feel comfortable? Did they fully answer all of your questions? Did they spend enough time with you? Did they pressure you in any way? A good consult experience is a good indication of your experience with that surgeon and his office in the future.
As with any medical procedure, be sure to do your homework when selecting a surgeon to perform facial plastic surgery. It could be the difference between a happy face and a “not-so-happy” face.
Dr. Jacob D. Steiger, M.D. is board certified by the American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery and the American Board of Otolaryngology – Head & Neck Surgery. He practices in Boca Raton and Delray Beach, Florida, treating patients from Palm Beach, Ft. Lauderdale, and Miami, as well as patients from all over the U.S. and around the world.